Sunday, January 18, 2015

My Brother Is Going To Love This Forwarded List Of Lawyer Jokes by Steve Schwantes (TOW #16 Written)

My Brother Is Going To Love This Forwarded List Of Lawyer Jokes by Steve Schwantes is another in a long list of Onion articles that point out the real issues. Everyone has that one person that just will not stop sending you pointless emails that you're going to delete automatically, or even better, have set to spam. For me, it's my dad, who sends endless emails about how millennials are lazy and how I should have my major picked out by now. Jokes on you dad, this millennial knows how to delete emails in two easy clicks! And then they'll ask you about it later and you'll be all “yes, that was very helpful, what would I do without your life changing emails?” But enough with the passive-aggressiveness, let's analyze the rhetoric in this passage!
The first part of this article is a picture of the author, a balding, white, middle aged man. It is very obviously meant to represent the majority of people who send the annoying emails you delete. Next is the satire, which is quite obviously there because the Onion is a satire website. While at first look, to a very gullible four-year-old this may look like a genuine man talking about genuine things, everyone else will be able to know that they are using satire to point out a very annoying #firstworldproblems. The article uses a first-person point of view to show how ridiculous it actually is. For example, “When you forward a mass-forwarded email, you get a good feeling inside”. Not to mention that everyone stopped mass-forwarding jokes in like, 6th grade. Middle aged people, am I right? It paints them as excited puppies who understand nothing and have just found out what the internet is. Wow, gmail, what a revolutionary concept, am I right?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Neha,
    I think the numbering may be off on your TOWs. Is this TOW #16??
    -Caroline Alberti

    ReplyDelete