Thursday, May 28, 2015

TOW #28- Reflection

It is really nice to see growth in my writing, and these TOWs make it plain to see. At the beginning of the year, I stuck to the script, putting everything in a sort of formula that I had in my head. Everything had a place, and deviating from that was apparent death. But as you scroll through the year, you can see my writing get more relaxed. That does not mean it gets lazy, but rather that it gains more flow. I think as the year progressed I mastered the art of making sure my writing had flow, instead of just a formula that I filled in the parts. I also grew better at picking out rhetorical devices, and could often see them at once when I opened an essay. Though I did learn a lot, I could still improve on my diction, because I tend to always sound a bit informal even in my formal writing essays. I think I did benefit from the TOWs because not only did they force me to write something every week, but they forced me to read something every week. This means, while I was honing my writing skills, I was also learning about real world events. It kind of opened my eyes to the thousands of different articles that are written every day. What I mean by that is that even though the Internet has mostly always been at my fingertips, I had never really used it to read articles. That sounds incredibly weird to me now, because even without the TOWs I now keep an eye out for interesting articles to read, instead of the quick reading of lesser articles (10 Crazy Things You Didn't Know About Salad!- Buzzfeed). 

No comments:

Post a Comment