Friday, February 6, 2015

TOW #18 (IRB)- A Walk in the Woods

    A Walk in the Woods, by Bill Bryson is funny and entertaining, even though the premise seems a bit dry. Bryson tells the story of how he and a buddy of his decide to hike the 2168 mile Appalacian Trail, up the East Coast. The problem is, that he is slightly overweight, and while he thought the buddy he invited along was a real rough-and-tougher, instead this friend is even more overweight, and even more used to the nice things in life, like running water. Bryson uses a lot of humor in the book, starting off by the shocked way his wife acts when he tells her his decision. The vernacular of the book is very informal, with occasional cursing (like when they were chased by bears).
     Hidden by the gags and funny parts, is the true reflective nature of Bryson. Though he could not complete the trail, he learns a lot, and in between hilarious anecdotes are profound statements, such as, "“But I got a great deal else from the experience. I learned to pitch a tent and sleep beneath the stars. For a brief, proud period I was slender and fit. I gained a profound respect for the wilderness and nature and the benign dark power of woods. I understand now, in a way I never did before, the colossal scale of the world. I found patience and fortitude that I didn't know I had. I discovered an America that millions of people scarcely know exists. I made a friend. I came home.” This statement spoke volumes to me, and almost makes me want to go out right now, and "rediscover America", the beauty of the natural wilderness. Even though Bryson described horrible things, rain, fog, bears, cold, and getting lost, you're still left with a sense of respect for nature. I come from a hiking family after all, so who knows if I'll do it or not? And the way Bryson described the Pennsylvanian part of the trail, "miserable, with rocks stabbing every part of your shoe", well that just made me feel right at home, because the trails in Pennsylvania really are like that. Thanks, glaciers, and thank you, nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment