Sunday, February 15, 2015

TOW #19- Downward Dogged The Onion (visual)

http://www.theonion.com/articles/downward-dogged,37964/

My favorite part of this political cartoon is how downright offensive it is. I mean, the Bible and the American Flag are burning in the middle, down at the bottom there is a book that says, "weird books (probably korans)". There's also a grim reaper and satanic symbols, but those are just extra details. The funny thing about this is that I know people that would totally be the people on the left, who are willingly going into these weird new fitness things without knowing a thing about them. I mean, just look at Kim Kardashian, who sparked the whole "eating your own placenta to make your skin better" thing. That was insane, but people still did it. Also, crossfit. Now crossfit is actually good for you, but it seems like the spawn of satan to me. I mean, all that moving around and getting healthy, it's truly scary.
I started off the first paragraph with what my favorite part was, but I think I've found a true favorite. I'm a sucker for puns, especially the horrendously bad ones, like the little man in the bottom right corner saying, "Bad OM-en." That just gets me. I love it a lot. The cartoon is really going after band wagon mentality, and how people jump on new trends so quickly. Take all of L.A., for example. I mean, I'm guilty of this myself too, especially in my younger days, as evidenced by the 30 or so Silly Bands and one Tamagotchi I can see just sitting at my desk right now. My dad calls us 'iSheep', but the truth is that we have no money, he is the one buying the iPhones for us. Who's the iSheep now, dad? Back on track, people will do anything to fit in, including going to yoga sessions led by the grim reaper. The comic really gets at the things that people do to help, when they are actually hurting their body.

No comments:

Post a Comment