Sunday, September 21, 2014

TOW #3- I Had a Stroke at 33 by Christine Hyung-Oak Lee (Written)

      I Had a Stoke at 33 is a long form Buzzfeed article written by Christine Hyung-Oak Lee. It is about her personal experience of having a stroke very young because of a hole in her heart. While not lacking in many medical details, the main focus of this article is about how she felt during and after the stroke. It's how her life went into a tailspin, but ultimately made her into the person she is today. Since the article is on Buzzfeed, it is mostly targeted towards the younger generations, probably teenagers, or people in their twenties. While the story is sad, telling about her life feel apart, it also inspires hope, that she was able to fight through this tragic event. It showcases how the people around her dealt with it, but mostly importantly how Christine dealt with it.
      A stroke is a horrible thing, that changes brain patterns forever. At just 33, Christine's way of life, her way of thinking, everything about her, was scrambled. She had to quit her job, she divorced her husband, and her thoughts would never be the same. But ultimately, out of all these struggles, she gets her life back on track. I think her purpose is to educate and inspire. Educate people about what happens when you have a stroke, so maybe people that know stroke victims can be even more understanding. Inspire people not to give up, to keep on fighting through whatever is afflicting them. I think she did accomplish this, because before reading this article, I had no idea what a stroke was like. I only knew the physical, that you sometimes got paralyzed. I didn't know the mental effects, or the social effects. Inspiring is a little harder, but I believe she did that too, because I was hooked the instant I started reading, then thought about it many times during the day after that. By speaking up about her stroke. Christine has educated at least one more person, me.


No comments:

Post a Comment